MARIE CARMODY PSYCHOLOGY
Hi, I’m Marie and I’m the owner and principal psychologist at Marie Carmody Psychology, a new boutique psychology clinic located at West End. I am a registered Medicare psychology provider and clinical psychology registrar who works with adults across a range of clinical and non-clinical health issues.
I work as an integrative psychotherapist and draw upon a teaching and coaching (Jungian & solutions-focused therapies) background that enhances the wide range of treatment options I provide. Whether you have challenges at work or in your relationships, or with your own self-image, together, we can discover a new way for you to experience the world; and find a more comfortable way to living in your skin.
What most people might not realise is that almost all emotional pain is rooted in some form of distress that is carried in your mind and body. As humans, we are all affected by experiences and whatever isn’t properly resolved is often masked by anxiety, anger, irritability, depression, feeling stuck or chronic relationship issues. Therefore, I adopt a relational approach to therapy that is highly collaborative and mutually respectful, helping clients engage in an integrative mind-body-focused healing experience, in order to build a more cohesive sense of self. I honour the connections I build with each individual client and ensure respect, safety and acceptance.
Each person that comes through the door is an individual and so needs personalised techniques. The most successful results occur when a therapist can draw from many modalities or “tools in their toolkit” so the right approach can be found that will best support each client and their unique needs. I can draw from a suite of evidence-based practices such as
- neurobiological informed trauma therapy (for PTSD and complex trauma)
- internal family systems
- conversational model
- structural dissociation model
- dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT)
- mindfulness-based therapies such as acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) and solution-focused therapy (SFT)
- brief dynamic interpersonal psychotherapy (ITP)
- mentalisation informed therapies
- motivational interviewing (MI)
I work with adults who may have experienced acute, chronic or complex trauma. I also assess and treat across a broad range of emotional and psychological difficulties:
- Single incident and complex trauma (PTSD/complex trauma)
- Personality difficulties
- Interpersonal relationship issues (intimate, family, workplace)
- Stress, fatigue, workplace or cyber bullying
- Mood changes such as feeling angry, irritable, anxious or depressed
- Issues with loss of self-esteem and feelings of emptiness
- Adjustments to major life changes e.g. job change, retirement, chronic illness diagnoses
- Grief and loss
- Life/personal/executive coaching
- Self-esteem and self-development
- Workplace issues
By appointment only
My business hours are Monday 10am – 7pm; Tuesday to Friday from 9 am to 5 pm. We will make every effort to respond to your communication and enquiries within a 24-hour period. The exception to this is weekends and public holidays on which case we will respond on the next business day.